Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pizza, Burgers, Tacos...anything you could possibly be craving!

I say this every time, but I truly don't know how time slips away so quickly. I suppose that we have had a crazy last month and a half, but still. I also don't think I have cooked as many "recipes" lately. I do have a few great recipes to share, though! 

First up on the menu is grilled corn, tomato, and avocado salad. This is a summer staple. There are many variations that I am sure you have seen on Pinterest, etc., but I made this up in my head. It's so easy to throw together and it tastes so good. 
Grilled Corn, Tomato, and Avocado Salad
Ingredients
{Makes about 4-6 servings}
2 ears of Corn on the cob, grilled
1 pint of Grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 Avocados, grilled and diced
1/2 a Purple onion, diced
1 handful of Cilantro, minced
1 package Feta cheese
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chop the onions, cilantro, and grape tomatoes. 
Meanwhile, grill the corn and avocados.
Cut corn off of the cob and dice avocado {see picture on the right}
Put all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix.
This salad is great with any type of grilled meat and something green--we chose asparagus!
This next meal...you have GOT to try it! It's cheddar jalapeno chicken burgers. I found the recipe on Pinterest. The recipe made 4 burgers--we cooked 2 and froze the other 2. They were so good we had them for dinner the very next week. To me, that says a lot, because my husband doesn't like "repeat" meals very often! 
Cheddar Jalapeno Chicken Burgers
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chicken
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2-3 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/3-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Additional Toppings:
Guacamole {I make my own, but you could use store bought}
Sour Cream
Red Onion
Chop ingredients 2 through 4
Add chopped ingredients and all other ingredients to the ground chicken. Mix together with your hands.
Make 4 patties out of the ground chicken mixture. Grill until chicken is cooked through. I used a Cuisinart {George Foreman type} grill to cook our burgers because our grill was out of propane.
Once the burgers are done, top them with the suggested additional toppings. We had sweet potato fries with our burgers. 
Let's move on from chicken to pork--pork tacos, that is! These were a hit too. I know I say that everything I make is good, but I promise it is, or I wouldn't be sharing it with you and telling you to make it! 
Crock pot Pork Tacos and Cilantro Lime Rice
Ingredients:
1 lb pork shoulder {This made enough for about 3 people, if you want to make more, use 2-3 lbs. of pork}
1 12oz. can of Coke
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 10oz. can enchilada sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small can diced green chiles
3/4 cup brown sugar
Corn tortillas
Marinate pork in brown sugar and coke for at least 2 hours. You can do it overnight if you plan ahead. I did not, so 2 hours was plenty!
After it has marinated for at least 2 hours, put the pork and liquid mixture into the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. 
Once the meat has cooked, remove it from the crock pot, discard the liquid, and shred the meat. Return the meat to the crock pot and add all other ingredients. 

Stir together and cook for 30-60 more minutes.

While the pork is cooking for the last 30-60 minutes, prepare the cilantro lime rice. 
Ingredients:
2 cups chicken stock {I used broth and it was fine}
1 cup Jasmine rice
1 large lime, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
1 pinch crushed red pepper
1 large handful fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, prepare and combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Once the rice is finished cooking, add other ingredients and mix well. 
Add a scoop of rice to a taco shell, then top with pork. 
Black beans were a great addition to the tacos! 
Last up is a Britt creation--Bacon Jalapeno Pimento Cheese Pizza. We l.o.v.e. pimento cheese at our house. We also love jalapenos and bacon. Put those ingredients all together and you get an awesome meal of some sort!
Ingredients:
Pizza dough {we bought some at Trader Joe's}
4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 container of pimento cheese
6 strips of bacon, crumbled
1 shallot, sliced
3-4 jalapenos {I seeded 3 and left the seeds in one}, sliced
Prepare dough as directed on package.
Spread cream cheese on rolled out dough, then spread pimento cheese over the cream cheese.
Top with crumbled bacon, jalapenos, and shallots. Bake according to the dough package directions. 
We will certainly be making this pizza again! 
I can't promise many more recipes before the baby comes...I do have 3 or 4 I want to try before then, so hopefully I will make them and be able to share them before Baby S arrives in about 6 weeks! Check back soon--jess

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Pizza, Burgers, Tacos...anything you could possibly be craving!". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- lifestyle cooking training | professional pizza course

    ReplyDelete