Monday, December 10, 2012

Pasta, Pie, and Soup

I feel like we have been so busy latey. I have not been making recipes on a regular basis like usual! Just last week we ate out for 5 meals--that NEVER happens...I am ready to get back to trying new recipes more frequently when the holiday season is over. Until then, check out a few things I have made over the last few weeks.

Creamy Tomato Chicken Pasta
I made this pasta dish the night before I ran my half marathon so I would have plenty of carbs to keep me going. I adapted the recipe from one I found on Pinterest. 

Ingredients:
8 oz. bow tie pasta
1 large chicken breast {grilled}
1/2 of a yellow onion {diced}
2 small cans of tomato sauce
For the Alfredo Sauce:
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half2 garlic cloves {minced}
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese

 Dice the onion and garlic. Saute the onion, set aside the garlic.
 Boil the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, grill the chicken breast. 
 Add the tomato sauce to the onions.
 Melt the butter in a skillet. Add flour and whisk together for about 2 minutes. 
 Whisk in the milk, half and half, and garlic, and add salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 2 minutes.
Add cheese to the mixture and stir until the cheese is melted. 
 Chop the grilled chicken into cubes. 
 Add the tomato sauce and alfredo sauce to the noodles.
 Then add the chicken and mix it all together.
 And you have a creamy tomato chicken pasta dish that was delish! 
Cheeseburger Pie
I think cheeseburger pie may be one of our new favorite recipes. It is super easy and oh so good! 

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground ground beef
1 1/2 packages of crescent rolls
1 can of diced tomatoes {drained}
1 small yellow onion {diced}
1/2 cup dill pickle chips {chopped}
1 tbsp of flour
1 tbsp of pickle juice
Ketchup {use as much or little as you prefer}
Mustard {use as much or little as you prefer}
2 cups of cheese
 Brown the hamburger meat.
 Chop the onion and pickles. 
 Add the onions, pickles, diced tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, flour, and pickle juice to the hamburger meat. Stir until all ingredients are mixed together. Cook on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. 
 Break apart the crescent rolls and place in a pie plate to form a crust. 
 Add 1 cup of cheese to the hamburger meat mixture, and stir until the the cheese is melted. 
 Pour the hamburger mixture into the pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. 
 Remove from the oven and add remaining cheese to the pie {you might want to add a little extra if you like cheese as much as me!}. Let the pie stand until the cheese melts. 
Top your pie with ketchup, mustard, and pickles. It tastes great!
White Bean Chicken Chili
For quite sometime Britt has wanted me to make white chili. I finally got around to it. I used Paula Deen's recipe as a guide, but made it my own. 
Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken {boiled and chopped/shredded}
5 cans of white beans {I used navy beans, great northern beans, cannellini beans, and white beans}
1 can of diced tomatoes
4 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of chicken broth
4 tbsp of butter, for sauteing the onion and garlic {I used olive oil instead}
1 small onion {diced}
3 cloves of garlic {minced}
Chili Powder
Cumin
Oregano
White Pepper
Ground Black Pepper
A pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
 Fist, boil the chicken.
 While the chicken is boiling, dice the onions and garlic. Saute the onion and garlic until it becomes soft. 
 After the chicken is finished boiling, chop/shred it. 
 Add the beans to the crock pot. 
 Then add the tomatoes and sauteed onions and garlic. 
Next, add the chicken and spices. 
 Add the chicken stock and chicken broth. 
 Stir together and let cook on hi for about 3 to 4 hours. 
 Top the soup with cheese and serve with a piece of southern cornbread! This wasn't my favorite soup, but it was good. I think I'll try Britt's mom's recipe next time.
"There is no spectacle on Earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman in the act of cooking dinner for someone she loves."- Thomas Wolfe...I'd like to think that is what Britt thinks about me and my cooking!! 

-Jessica

1 comment: